Wednesday, April 20, 2011

More Man Food

Fending for myself again, I decided to go a little crazy. I had bought some ground beef the other day (wife doesn't eat red meat all that often), so I figured I'd make a burger.

The asparagus is there to be healthy. The beer is for carbs.
But a regular burger isn't interesting enough, of course. First, I made my own bread for the bun. I also decided to mix in a little ground sausage for flavor. About 20% ground sausage, all mixed up with the 80/20 ground beef. YUM.

But wait, there's more.


I also stuffed it with blue cheese. When it cooked, it got all melty and awesome. Then I threw a slice of cheddar on top (but really, it didn't need it). The bun was delicious right out of the oven, but a little too crusty. The burger was pretty soft, so it fell apart when I bit into it. In a delicious way.

Here are some bonus pictures from the past few nights:
chicken wings with hot sauce and blue cheese
I made the hot wings the day after the corn dogs. This was another "fend for yourself" meal. Hence the beer. And the spicy. And the no-vegetables. Does the green/blue stuff in the blue cheese count as a vegetable? It grows! And yes, I know the placemat is dirty. Must be crumbs from the corndog. Yeah, definitely not crumbs from a week ago.

Anchovy pizza
We had never had anchovy pizza before, so I decided to give it a try. I did overcook it a little, but overall it wasn't horrible. The anchovies were a lot saltier and fishier tasting than we expected though, and Angie pulled them off her slice. If we do this again, I will try rinsing the anchovies a little to remove some of the salt.

I also made some awesome French Vanilla Ice cream. 1 cup heavy cream, 2 cups half & half, some sugar, and 3 egg yolks. Oh, and the most important part, 1 whole vanilla bean, split and scraped. I think this may be the best ice cream I've made yet. Maybe next time I'll let it churn a little longer though, to get a tiny bit more air into it.

YUM!