Thursday, February 3, 2011

Sweet Potato experiment!

So I've never cooked with sweet potatoes before, and the times that I've had it they were covered in marshmallows and I was not a fan. But, my wife read somewhere that some tribe in Africa eats lots of sweet potatoes and has a high incidence of twins, so she wants to eat more of them (sweet potatoes, not twins).


I saw something online that inspired me to make some "sweet potato Parmesan crisps". That basically involved grating a bunch of the sweet potato, and mixing it with grated Parmesan cheese and egg, seasoned with black pepper.
Appetizing, eh?
I then squashed them into little patties, and threw them in the oven (425F or so).
also, a glass of wine.
Meanwhile, I took some chicken thighs (my mom said that we have to eat chicken on Chinese new years), which I conveniently portion freeze in ziploc bags,
and add about a half cup of Panko bread crumbs, and smoosh it around just like Shake-n-bake (does that still exist?)
With the remaining stump of the potato, I decided to make some chips, so I sliced them thin and threw them in the pan with some olive oil, black pepper, salt, and garlic powder.
(I cooked up the chicken in the pan too, but forgot to take a picture of that)

About 30 minutes later, the potato patties came out nice golden brown and crispy. I should have skipped the rack though, because they stuck to it something fierce. Next time I'll just use the silpat (silicone baking mat) and flip it halfway through. 
I served it up with a little sauce comprised of mayo and spicy mustard, and it was delicious! Well, I thought so. Angie wasn't super thrilled, but she blames it on her monthly woman-hormones. I was fairly happy with the way it came out.

Next time, maybe some green on the plate so it's not so brown.

How have your food experiments turned out?