Friday, February 11, 2011

Taco night!

Originally I was going to make some baked ziti type thing, but that'll have to wait for another night. Instead, we made Tacos!
the fixins
The baked ziti will have to wait for another day. Maybe this weekend. But here's how I did the tacos. They're pretty simple.

Please note that I do not claim to make anything that resembles an authentic taco. I did not grow up anywhere near some authentic Mexican area, and I don't really care if it's "authentic". I just care if it tastes good, and this does. Case in point: I first started by chopping up and cooking a half package of bacon.
If this is wrong, I don't wanna be right.
I cooked it up at medium-low heat, then set it aside when it was just starting to get crispy around the edges. Don't get rid of all that yummy bacon grease, because you're just gonna regret it. That's a lot of flavor! 




So, to that flavor, add about a pound of ground beef. 












Add about a tablespoon (or two if you like) of ground cumin. This stuff is yummy, and makes it taste all taco-y. 










Add a teaspoon of salt (kosher salt is my salt of preference, of course) 









Black pepper (a whole bunch, like 10 good grinds)















And lastly, some garlic powder (about a tablespoon also) 






Set aside in another bowl and then prep the rest of the toppings. 

Slice up an avocado. (When picking an avocado, find ones that are slightly soft but not mushy. If you really want to cheat, pull off the little stem nub in the store and make sure it's green)









Also, grate up an assload of cheese. Cheddar. Sharp. Extra.










Get some of those small fajitas and heat them up a little. I used my little teflon pan with some water in there to steam. Low heat, covered, and a couple minutes later, you're good to go.
(I apparently lost the photo I took of that step. Trust me though, it was beautiful)

Then all you have to do is put lots of stuff on top of the fajita and enjoy! I also had some salsa and sour cream to make it extra yummy.
Here's my preferred method. Yours may vary. Start with a base of avocado. (note - this is also how I start my sushi rolls.)

Add some bacon. 
And a bunch of cheese.
Then pile on the meat, salsa, and sour cream.

Then try to pick it up and take a bite without everything falling out the other side!