Friday, January 7, 2011

First post, how far we've come...

So a bunch of people have convinced me to start a food blog.

I've been taking photos of my food since 2004, before I had a decent camera, or any photographic sense whatsoever. You can see the evolution of both my food as well as my food photos over the years by going back through my gallery. Here's a sample of an early dish (steak with rice and wine)


I didn't even have nice plates. I was using these metal serving trays that my dad purchased at a restaurant supply store. These were used daily for over a year, until I was forced by my friend Rachael to get some nice plates to go with the nice food.





You can't tell here, but I still don't have a proper dining table. The first photo was taken on the kitchen counter, and the second was on the cheap Ikea coffee table. At that time, all my meals were eaten while sitting on the floor in front of the coffee table, while watching tv on a hand-me-down 23" CRT tv. (At least it was on a proper table, as compared with previous residences where the tv was on milk crates, and the dining table was a cardboard box draped with some bath towels)


The change in food quality is most apparent when you look at the sushi we've made. It always tasted quite good, but the techniques have vastly improved.
late September, back in 2004
Notice the same stainless steel serving plates. The rolls always had way too much rice, and the nigiri was cut poorly and placed sloppily on a too-large hunk of rice.

I did eventually start getting better.
April, 2006
That basically brings us up to the present. I'm still cooking a lot, and taking photos. This blog will showcase new dishes, techniques, experiments (failed as well as successful ones), and anything else that happens to interest me. What would you like to see?