Thursday, January 13, 2011

More adventures in bread baking (or, "dinner and a potluck!")

Have I mentioned how much I love the "Artisan Bread in 5 minutes" technique? I may have, but I'll just say it again. It is awesome!

Anyway, I made some more bread for dinner the other night, and while it came out great, I forgot to slash it before putting it in the oven. Slashing the top gives the bread a weak point from which to expand. So I think it turned out a little denser than it could have. It still tasted great though.
It looks a little phallic.
We had this bread for dinner with some chicken and broccoli.
This is how I typically make chicken when I'm not inspired to do something fancy. I just coat it in panko breadcrumbs, and pan fry it in a little olive oil. The broccoli is just boiled in salted water for 5 minutes or so, till it's slightly too mushy (Angie likes it mushy, not "al dente").

Today we had a potluck at work, so I brought some bread. Well, I made some bread. I woke up early (well, I woke up at my normal time and actually got up instead of snuggling up), went downstairs and took some dough out of the fridge and formed some oddly shaped loaves.

What's left of my fridge dough.
30 minutes later, and I had some awesome bread to take to work!